The following is adapted from the book The Art of Manliness: Classic Skills and Manners for the Modern Man. What does this have to do with food? Very little, however it does speak to culture. We, as men, have allowed ourselves to be defined by political correctness, pysco-babble run amok, and (sorry girls) how women think a man should, act, think and feel. So, how does a gentleman conduct himself at the table? I submit this is a good start.
1. Unless you are expecting a call that your wife's water has broken, be sure your cell phone is off before sitting down to a meal.
2. If you are accompanying a lady to dinner, pull out her chair for her and allow her to be seated first.
3. When you sit down immediately place your napkin on your lap.
4. When you see all those forks don't panic!!
*smallest fork : for eating seafood
*next smallest fork: for eating salad
*biggest fork: save for dinner
*small spoon: for coffee
*big spoon: for soup
5. Keep your elbows off the table!
6. Wait until you know whether grace will be said before diving into the food. No man wants to be caught with a mouth full of roll when everyone else bows their head.
7. Always say please when requesting a dish to be passed.
8. Don't try to taste something off someone's plate.
9 Don't eat to fast. Slow down and enjoy. If you're with a lady match her pace.
10. The "see food diet" joke is only funny when you're 5.
11. Use your napkin! That hairy masterpiece under your nose is not a "flavor savor".
12. Be careful of your conversation topics. Your story about breaking open your head in a skate board accident may slay them at the frat house, but it can put someone off the tomato soup.
Well there you have it, an etiquette short list. Bottom line......Be a Gentleman, and enjoy the food.